Lucky for you, this skin type allows you to experience the best of both worlds! Combination skin is probably one of the more trickier types to treat because of its multiple pinpoints. With other skin types, the target issues are far more concrete; whereas, with this type it is more unpredictable. It also happens to be one of the most popular types.
How Do I Know If I Have Combination Skin?
Well as the name implies, this skin type is a combination of two core skin types. This skin types carries the signs and symptoms of dry and oily skin simultaneously. The one stark feature is that it carries the symptoms in distinctive areas. Those with combination skin experience an oily T- Zone (forehead, nose and chin area) and dry cheeks.
The seasons also happen to be a factor with this skin type, during the warmer months, skin is more oily; whereas during the colder months skin is more dry. This is a useful metric to determine if you have oily skin or combination.
When it comes to cleansing this skin type, there is no one product to tackle all the issues. You will have to determine which areas are in need of more attention before dispersing product. That means you may have to spot wash your T-Zone with an oily formulated product that will mattify skin. The areas that are dry will be treated with a gentle moisturizer based cleanser to create a moisture shield from further dehydration. Your best bet is to go with a gentle water based cleaner that will remove impurities without drying effects.
Toner should never be avoided regardless of skin type. The great thing about is that you can use one type for your entire complexion. As long as one avoids astringents, any oil based cleanser will work to balance skin PH. The areas that are dry will become hydrated whereas the others that are oily will see in reduction in pore size and sheen. Great natural toners like witch hazel or rose water are known for their soothing, anti-inflammatory properties that also happen to be very hydrating. Toner should be used 2-3 times per week to keep skin in pristine condition.
This step is usually skipped for most skin types because they are unsure of how it actually benefits skin. Exfoliation is needed to help increase skin cell turnover which can help reduce breakouts and signs of aging. Exfoliation works to remove the build up of dead skin cells that can cause a dull appearance or unclog pores that are harboring excess oil. In addition, this step helps products such as serums and moisturizers to be better absorbed to work at inner most deep layers.
Those with combination skin should try to use an exfoliate that has gentle ingredients like alpha hydroxy acid that gently unclog pores while adding a physical barrier from harsh free radicals. The other acids within this compound group: beta hydroxy and salicylic acids work well to target each zone without causing extreme side effects.
Keep skin hydrated is the key to keeping one's complexion glowing and supple. While it may be tempting to use a product for each area, it would be impossible to keep them completely separate. Instead those with combination skin should seek multi-tasking products that address all needs. Those with combination should gravitate toward lightweight, oil free creams or water based gels. The only skin type that should ever use a heavy cold cream are those with dry skin. Considering that combination skin will have a smaller dry area to treat, a heavy cream would not be beneficial. Another option is to use a non-comedogenic facial oil that will help keep oil in check while quenching thirsty dry skin.
Here are a number of cleansers, toners and moisturizers to build a combination skin based regime to tuck away in your arsenal!
- Garnier Clean + Balancing Exfoliator for Combination Skin (5 oz)
- Vitamin C Facial Cleanser- Anti Aging, Breakout & Wrinkle Reducing Face Wash (6.7 oz)
- Alpha Skin Care Refreshing Face Wash For All Skin Types ( 6 oz)
- Coconut Milk & Honey Face Cleanser by Foxbrim ( 6 oz)
- Era Organics Natural Face Wash with Organic Aloe Vera & Manuka Honey (8 oz)
- Mizon AHA & BHA Daily Clean Toner (5.07 oz)
- Simple Kind to Skin Facial Toner, Soothing (6.7 oz)
- Lavender Mist Facial Toner-100% Natural by Foxbrim (4 oz)
- Teddie Organics Rose Water Facial Toner (2 oz)
- Benton Aloe BHA Skin Toner (6.7 oz)
- Neutrogena Hydro Boost Water Gel (1.7 oz)
- Mary Kay Timewise Age Fighting Moisturizer (3 oz)
- Garnier SkinActive Moisture Rescue Face Moisturizer (1.7 oz)
- Cremo Face Moisturizer, Superior 24 Hour Healing Face Moisturizer (4.4 oz)
- Ancient Greek Remedy Oil- 100% Pure Blend of Organic Sweet Almond, Cold pressed Olive and Grapeseed Oil (4 oz)