Witch Hazel is the one product that doesn’t get enough love, considering the benefits it offers. Many reach for harsh artificial toners that can over dry skin or cause irritation. Unlike these harsh for skin products; witch hazel delivers noticeable results naturally for all skin types. Not convinced? Here is a breakdown of the benefits witch hazel has to offer and why you should make it a skin care staple in your regime.
Where Does Witch Hazel Come From?
This multi-use product is a topical astringent that is derived from the bark and leaves of Hamamelis virginiana (a North American based shrub). This shrub can grow to heights reaching 20 to 30 feet; however, it typically grows between 12 to 15 feet tall. Long valued for its medicinal traits that make it perfect for treating infections and inflammation, this product is known as a natural toner. This long standing product made its American debut to the masses in 1846 and word quickly spread about this “Golden Treasure”.
These days it still reigns as a popular base in many skin care products, especially those specializing in makeup removal. Witch hazel is typically distilled and mixed with purfied water, alcohol and other skin soothing agents.
How Can Witch Hazel Be Used?
There are a plethora of uses when it comes to witch hazel, the most popular usage is: a topical toner. The natural properties within it are perfect for addressing swelling and drawing out impurities found within the surface of skin. Aside from being used as a topical toner, witch hazel can be used to treat: sunburns, eczema symptoms, stretch marks, brighten under-eye area and shrink swollen veins.
What Are The Benefits of Witch Hazel?
When used as a toner, this product offers multiple benefits for all skin types. It is great for almost all skin types; due, to the fact that it is naturally derived and won’t cause irritation for sensitive skin. Here are just a few of the many benefits it has to offer:
- Easily removes makeup, oil and dirt
- Clarifies and shrinks visible pores
- Reduces the appearance of acne
- Calms and reduce irritation
- Fades bruises
- Tightens and brightens under eye area for a more wide awake look
- Shrinks swollen aka varicose veins
- Soothing agent post shaving
- Alcohol free hazel can be used as a moisturizer
What Can I Buy Witch Hazel?
When it comes to choosing a witch hazel to use as a toner, it is best to use an alcohol free formula. As an added bonus look for naturally soothing agents like: aloe, rose water or orange blossom to promote moisture.
- Thayers Alcohol-free Rose Petal Witch Hazel with Aloe Vera (12 oz)
- Dickinson’s Enhanced Witch Hazel Alcohol Free Hydrating Toner (16 oz)
- Witch Hazel Alcohol-Free Unscented Astringent (8 oz)
- Pure Witch Hazel Toner, Alcohol Free With Aloe Vera & Lavender Essential Oil (8 oz)
- Quinn’s Alcohol-Free Witch Hazel (16 oz)