Are you putting your best face forward? Your skin is your body’s largest organ by size and the most exposed to the elements. Daily exposure to the sun, air pollutants and a multitude of weather conditions can wreak havoc on your skin, leaving it dull and tired.
For those prone to breakouts, utilizing a balanced skin care regimen is crucial to minimize flare ups and prevent scarring. Even those who don’t suffer from skin concerns yet will benefit from maintaining a routine; healthy skin may help delay signs of aging such as fine lines and wrinkles. Properly cared for skin has an easier time repairing damage and renewing itself when irritants and impurities are cleared away daily.
Ensure you are maximizing your health and beauty by caring for your skin each and every day, and your skin will take care of you.
Incorporate these 5 products in to your daily regimen to maximize your beauty and wellness.
The first step to unlocking healthy, glowing skin is as simple as washing your face. Thorough, daily cleansing is essential to remove dead skin cells, makeup, sweat and other debris that may clog your pores. Clogged pores will irritate the skin and lead to blackheads, whiteheads and cystic pimples. Congested pores can also cause your face to have a dull, rough appearance.
Treat your skin to a gentle wash (once or twice a day) to reveal supple, radiant skin. Skin that can breathe will have an easier time renewing itself; since the body does the majority of repair work while you sleep, washing before bed is essential.
With so many different cleansers on the market, it can be daunting trying to pick the best one for you. Knowing your skin type will narrow down your options and point you in the right direction. Once you’ve established your skin type, you’ll want to select a cleanser that will address your specific concerns. If you have normal to combination skin, most cleansers will work well for you.
If you have dry or aging skin, look for thick, moisturizing formulas that won’t further strip your skin. Dealing with acne or oily skin? Skip the rich stuff and try a gel or foam based cleanser to wash away impurities without aggravating your sensitive skin.
Common Cleanser Types
- Usually clear with a gel-like consistency. Great for deep cleansing; may contain ingredients such as salicylic acid to help unclog pores and treat acne. Ideal for OILY & COMBINATION SKIN
- Thick and velvety, usually containing moisturizing properties like botanical oils to cleanse without stripping your natural oils. Ideal for DRY, AGING & SENSITIVE SKIN
- Cream or gel in the bottle, these cleansers burst into a foamy lather once pumped. A lightweight alternative to gel. Ideal for OILY & COMBINATION SKIN
- Gently removes debris and loosens makeup for an easy clean up. Oil based cleanser can be beneficial for almost everyone. Look for NON COMEDOGENIC on the label to avoid clogged pores.
- Great for drawing excess oil out of the skin, clay has long been renowned for absorption power. Ideal for OILY & COMBINATION SKIN
Rules to remember: Always wash your face before bed and never go to sleep wearing makeup. Too tired to lather up? Swipe off makeup with a cleansing wipe before you hit the hay and save the deep clean for the morning.
Unlike cleansers, toners are usually universal and work well for most skin types. Toners help your pores tighten and can remove any lingering dirt left behind after cleansing. If you have target areas you’d like to treat, you can use a combination of toners.
Those with acne-prone skin should look for salicylic acid to treat breakouts. Those with dry or mature skin would benefit from toners enriched with essential oils to nourish and lock in moisture. People with normal to combination skin can utilize acne products in their T zone (usually the oiliest area; forehead, nose, chin) and use a milder product for the rest of your face. Simply use a small amount on a cotton ball and gently apply or mist your way to refreshing skin.
The outer layer of your skin experiences the most wear and tear and needs extra help staying hydrated. Keeping you this gorgeous is thirsty work! Using the right moisturizer will create a magnet effect, attracting and trapping existing water in the skin.
While many top tier and luxury brands claim their potion is youth in a bottle, you don’t have to break the bank to get top of the line results. Ensure you’re getting the best value by looking for these ingredients, according to your skin type and concerns.
- Mineral oils, lanolin, petrolatum
- Either water or oil based, an emollient fills the space between cells, resulting in smoother, hydrated skin. Ideal for DRY, MATURE SKIN
- Naturally found in the skin; low levels result in dry, damaged skin. Ideal for NORMAL, COMBINATION SKIN, MILD DRYNESS, ECZEMA
- Hazelnut, avocado, rose hip oils
- Best for very mature, dehydrated skin in low humidity areas. Oily and acne-prone skin, stay far, far away.
Applying a broad-spectrum SPF daily is the best way to protect your skin from UVA and UVB rays. The sun’s harsh rays can cause permanent damage to your delicate skin, resulting in an increased appearance of aging and a heightened risk of skin cancer.
Look for sunscreens specially formulated for the face, as all-over applications may cause break outs. Those with acne-prone skin should find liquid sunscreens with anti-inflammatory ingredients and vitamins, such as aloe vera and niacinamide.
Even if your moisturizer contains SPF, slather up! The sunscreen in your moisturizer is often diluted and when it comes to sun damage, there’s no such thing as being too careful.
Complete your daily regimen with a nourishing under-eye treatment. The skin under and around your eyes is delicate and can benefit from a little extra TLC.
If you’re concerned with signs of aging, use a rich formula with collagen, Retinol, and antioxidants. For dark circles, look for creams formulated to break down melanin pigment.